Welcome Guest. For JobStreet.com members, Login here. / For new members, Register here.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> English Language Assessment (ELA), Feedback
KokYL
post Jan 14 2010, 12:27 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,724

Tried the ELA Practice twice just now. Did not manage to get 100% on either attempts. What I would really like to know are the questions I got wrong. Now, I just suspect something is wrong with the system. For example, on both attempts in the grammar section, there was a question on "____ honest man". I suspect this is where I was marked wrong as I put the answer as "an". On the other hand, it may have been some other question where I made a mistake. However, there is no way for me to know.

Thanks

Yoon Lee
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
chenchow
post Jan 14 2010, 03:46 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Star Contributor
Member No.: 5

QUOTE (KokYL @ Jan 14 2010, 12:27 PM) *
Tried the ELA Practice twice just now. Did not manage to get 100% on either attempts. What I would really like to know are the questions I got wrong. Now, I just suspect something is wrong with the system. For example, on both attempts in the grammar section, there was a question on "____ honest man". I suspect this is where I was marked wrong as I put the answer as "an". On the other hand, it may have been some other question where I made a mistake. However, there is no way for me to know.

Thanks

Yoon Lee

Hi Yoon Lee, in terms of the answers, I have checked on the question that you raise, and there is no error in the answer. This JobStreet English Language Assessment questions are set by external consultants who are expert in the language.

Do keep on trying! Good Luck!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jason33
post Feb 1 2010, 11:00 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,799

Hi Yoon Lee,

It'll be best to sit for IELTS (International English Language Test System).
To find out more about this English proficiency test, drop by your nearest British Council or IDP branch.
Or, you can surf up for some information on: http://www.ielts.org/

Drop me a message if you want to find out how the tests are. I sat mine late-October 2009, and obtained an average score of 8 (out of 9) - Listening: 9, Reading: 7, Writing: 8, and Speaking: 8.

Cheers,
Jason happy.gif

+Quote Post
chenchow
post Feb 2 2010, 09:57 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Jason33 @ Feb 1 2010, 11:00 PM) *
Hi Yoon Lee,

It'll be best to sit for IELTS (International English Language Test System).
To find out more about this English proficiency test, drop by your nearest British Council or IDP branch.
Or, you can surf up for some information on: http://www.ielts.org/

Drop me a message if you want to find out how the tests are. I sat mine late-October 2009, and obtained an average score of 8 (out of 9) - Listening: 9, Reading: 7, Writing: 8, and Speaking: 8.

Cheers,
Jason happy.gif

Jason33, thanks for sharing on IELTS. IELTS is an internationally recognized test, however, it does cost more than RM500 to take the test. So, would say that if you are aiming to further studies abroad or look for migration, then you might be required to take IELTS or TOEFL.

However, for those of you who are not willing to spend more than RM500 for the test, JobStreet ELA provides an opportunity for employers to observe you based on conversation, grammar, vocabulary and comprehension.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jason33
post Feb 2 2010, 04:11 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Hi Chen,

I agree that IELTS costs RM500+. Are diplomas, degrees or other professional certificates free? I think not ...

I understand that JobStreet is offering something free for candidates. However, I believe there are some who're in the same position as I am who'd like an option to add their paid English proficiency test results posted on their profiles. Will we be penalised if we don't undertake the ELA? We'll be cross if JobStreet's ELA supersedes IELTS, TOEFL, or TOEIC.

I'm not in the position to promote IELTS or other English proficiency tests. But I'm raising a point here to ensure that credit is given to those who've sat for them. There've been some discussions in this forum, those especially by employers who're concerned about the legitimacy of candidate's claims and credentials. Why make their lives difficult if important issues can be resolved immediately?

A simple solution to this is just to add an option, which could substitute the ELA results. That's all happy.gif

+Quote Post
chenchow
post Feb 2 2010, 04:43 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Jason33 @ Feb 2 2010, 04:11 PM) *
Hi Chen,

I agree that IELTS costs RM500+. Are diplomas, degrees or other professional certificates free? I think not ...

I understand that JobStreet is offering something free for candidates. However, I believe there are some who're in the same position as I am who'd like an option to add their paid English proficiency test results posted on their profiles. Will we be penalised if we don't undertake the ELA? We'll be cross if JobStreet's ELA supersedes IELTS, TOEFL, or TOEIC.

I'm not in the position to promote IELTS or other English proficiency tests. But I'm raising a point here to ensure that credit is given to those who've sat for them. There've been some discussions in this forum, those especially by employers who're concerned about the legitimacy of candidate's claims and credentials. Why make their lives difficult if important issues can be resolved immediately?

A simple solution to this is just to add an option, which could substitute the ELA results. That's all happy.gif

Hi Jason33, essentially, you can highlight the IELTS results through the "Additional Information" section and employers will be able to view it, and decide on your proficiency.

The ELA is being used as the default one, as more than 300,000 job seekers in South East Asia has JobStreet ELA score, and hence, employers can easily compare the scores between one another.

Whereas most of the job seekers in this region would not have taken IELTS, TOEFL etc, and hence, employers would find it hard to compare every job seeker on that.

So, the best way is for you to include it in Additional Information of your resume, and you can also include in the attached word document of your resume, and all the resumes who view your profile and resume would have seen it and given you the due credits of it.

For the fields, we would add the fields that most of the job seekers would have info for that fields. For IELTS or TOEFL, as of now, not many job seekers have it yet, so it would not be a separate field.

Thanks for your feedback, and we will consider adding it, once more job seekers are taking such tests.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jason33
post Feb 9 2010, 09:15 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Hi Chen,

I've been giving your answers some thought, and realised there's a loophole in the JobStreet's ELA. It doesn't guarantee that the ELA for a particular candidate was sat by the same individual. It can be sat by another person, someone anonymous and more proficient in English. Whereas for those paid English proficiency tests, there's no way one can cheat because the candidate sitting for the tests needs to be present on the day of the tests with the official issued test registration receipt, along with his/her identification card (IC) for verification.

What would you have to say about this then?

+Quote Post
Daryl
post Feb 10 2010, 02:01 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10

Hi Jason,

No way we are saying ELA is better than the TOEFL or anything. The ELA is meant to be a guide for employer to evaluate the CV. This will help the employer to sort out hundred's of CV for a particular position. You are absolutely right that some one else could have done the ELA for them, just like I can argue that some one else could have written the CV for them. At the end of the day, is the interview that matters. Employer can chose to have another english test or IQ test or anything to test the jobseeker. The tools that we have is to make the selection for interview process easier. But does not mean when someone score 40/40 from the ELA, means that person is fit for the job and does not require further interview.

+Quote Post
chenchow
post Feb 10 2010, 06:14 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Hi Jason,

I concur with what Daryl is saying.

What we are providing is an alternative for employers to evaluate on job seekers and for job seekers to take the test and show the results to employers.

Yes, what you say could be possible, where unethical people might have asked others to sit for them, but it can be easily detected by employers, when they go for interview, and these job seekers would just find that they have just wasted their own time and the employers' time.

What we are offering is an additional alternatives, and employers and job seekers have been giving a lot of receptions to JobStreet ELA. More than 325,000 JobStreet English Language assessments and practices have been taken, since we launched it in Malaysia in November 2009 and other countries in December 2009.

If you could afford to take IELTS and TOEFL, you can definitely highlight it to employers. And they would take that into consideration. You should definitely include it into your resume and highlight it to them.

Good Luck on your job search!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jason33
post Feb 10 2010, 06:49 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Hi Chen / Daryl,

QUOTE (chenchow @ Feb 10 2010, 06:14 PM) *
Yes, what you say could be possible, where unethical people might have asked others to sit for them, but it can be easily detected by employers, when they go for interview, and these job seekers would just find that they have just wasted their own time and the employers' time.

As you've pointed out, it'll be a big burden for employers as they've wasted their precious time in finding unscrupulous candidates during interviews. Wouldn't that be too late? It's better to find a "fool-proof" system ...

I believe there's no right or wrong answer here. Speaking of which, I detected a mistake in one of the questions in the recent ELA that I sat for. That resulted in a 39/40 score for me. I think it's question #2.

Anyway, let's brainstorm something that can best serve employers and candidates. Drop me a note if you've any feasible ideas in mind.

Cheers,
Jason

+Quote Post
chenchow
post Feb 11 2010, 12:02 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Jason33 @ Feb 10 2010, 06:49 PM) *
Hi Chen / Daryl,

As you've pointed out, it'll be a big burden for employers as they've wasted their precious time in finding unscrupulous candidates during interviews. Wouldn't that be too late? It's better to find a "fool-proof" system ...

I believe there's no right or wrong answer here. Speaking of which, I detected a mistake in one of the questions in the recent ELA that I sat for. That resulted in a 39/40 score for me. I think it's question #2.

Anyway, let's brainstorm something that can best serve employers and candidates. Drop me a note if you've any feasible ideas in mind.

Cheers,
Jason

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your feedback, and I would say that as of now, most of the employers have feedbacked to us quite positively on this value-added service. And the response from employers and job seekers are very positive.

In terms of the ELA questions, it is dynamically generated from thousands of questions, and hence, without specifically letting us know which is the question that you suspect would have questions, we would not be able to pinpoint on it. If you know of any specific question that you think might have problem, do send the question via private message. Do note that posting the questions in public forum is not allowed.

For your information, the questions are set by English language experts, including English language professors. And hence, the credibility of the English language test is ensured.

Thanks.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jason33
post Feb 11 2010, 12:55 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Hi Chen,

Since many employers are happy with your ELA as an added-value service, that's great! However, do bear in mind that they might get frustrated during the interview sessions to find out that some candidates aren't as proficient as they seem. Anyway, this is something which, I believe, neither party - JobStreet nor employers - can control or avoid.

As for the mistake in your recent ELA, I'll PM you next time I spot a mistake. But kindly check Q2, for sure there's a mistake there. Although you've the support from English experts or professors, mistakes could still happen but at a very insignificant level. We are only human, aren't we?

For your information, I've a diploma in TEFL. Feedback from candidates sitting for your ELA is valuable too.

Cheers,
Jason

+Quote Post
chenchow
post Feb 11 2010, 03:17 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Jason33 @ Feb 11 2010, 12:55 PM) *
Hi Chen,

Since many employers are happy with your ELA as an added-value service, that's great! However, do bear in mind that they might get frustrated during the interview sessions to find out that some candidates aren't as proficient as they seem. Anyway, this is something which, I believe, neither party - JobStreet nor employers - can control or avoid.

As for the mistake in your recent ELA, I'll PM you next time I spot a mistake. But kindly check Q2, for sure there's a mistake there. Although you've the support from English experts or professors, mistakes could still happen but at a very insignificant level. We are only human, aren't we?

For your information, I've a diploma in TEFL. Feedback from candidates sitting for your ELA is valuable too.

Cheers,
Jason

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your feedback. We do listen from feedback from job seekers and employers, and this Forum is one of the avenues that all these feedbacks are heard by us.

We would like to check on the question that you pointed out, but we can't, as for each person who take the test, every question is different. Your Q2 is different from Q2 for other candidates.

Yes, mistakes could potentially happen, and we are constantly hearing from the users, who update us on any potential issue.

Thanks.

--------------------

+Quote Post
aireth
post Feb 13 2010, 02:04 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 1,873

I just tried one round of the practice test and I got 39/40 but I'm pretty sure I gotten all of them right so I back paged to the grammar section where the I supposedly gotten a wrong answer and tried various answers to see which question is the wrong one till I finally gotten 40/40.

Anna and _____ love to collect antique furniture sets. _____ have a love collection in our apartment.

The answer that is supposedly right is I, Our.
But it should have been I, We.

+Quote Post
chenchow
post Feb 22 2010, 02:00 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (aireth @ Feb 13 2010, 02:04 AM) *
I just tried one round of the practice test and I got 39/40 but I'm pretty sure I gotten all of them right so I back paged to the grammar section where the I supposedly gotten a wrong answer and tried various answers to see which question is the wrong one till I finally gotten 40/40.

Anna and _____ love to collect antique furniture sets. _____ have a love collection in our apartment.

The answer that is supposedly right is I, Our.
But it should have been I, We.

Hi aireth,

I believe the question that you got wrong is not this one. We checked our answer scheme, and found that the answer of "I, We" is captured correctly in the system.

Thanks.

--------------------

+Quote Post
colloquial
post Mar 11 2010, 06:31 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 1,991

I got the link to the ELA through a friend, and anyway, I found that the most of the questions are really vague or have wrong tenses/odd structures like:

[Moderator Note:- Questions removed from Forum. You are not allowed to post the questions.]

I applaud JobStreet for taking the initiative to make the ELA available to job seekers and employers but please make sure that the questions and answers are clear and well-written.

+Quote Post
chenchow
post Mar 12 2010, 09:28 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (colloquial @ Mar 11 2010, 06:31 AM) *
I got the link to the ELA through a friend, and anyway, I found that the most of the questions are really vague or have wrong tenses/odd structures like:

[Moderator Note:- Questions removed from Forum. You are not allowed to post the questions.]

I applaud JobStreet for taking the initiative to make the ELA available to job seekers and employers but please make sure that the questions and answers are clear and well-written.

Thanks for the sharing. Have jotted down the questions and will refer to our external experts.

These questions are created by external experts panel in English Language, which include University Professors teaching English Language. We take great care in ensuring that all the questions are of high standard, and we will refer those questions that you have shared with us to the experts.

To all, please note that you are NOT allowed to post the English Language Assessment questions online.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jason33
post Mar 12 2010, 05:21 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

I strongly agree with colloquial. I too have noticed some ELA questions were constructed with wrong tenses and/or wrongly structured. I believe that someone with a strong proficiency in the English language is adequate to construct the ELA questions for JobStreet, and they don't require university professors to do so. Since mistakes had been found to date by JobStreet applicants, then these external experts should be forewarned. They should be ashamed of such obvious grammatical mistakes.

Another thing, please ensure that all questions listed in the ELA are wholeheartedly proof-read. If mistakes persist, perhaps you should pull the ELA plug out sooner or later. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
chenchow
post Mar 17 2010, 12:24 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Jason33 @ Mar 12 2010, 05:21 PM) *
I strongly agree with colloquial. I too have noticed some ELA questions were constructed with wrong tenses and/or wrongly structured. I believe that someone with a strong proficiency in the English language is adequate to construct the ELA questions for JobStreet, and they don't require university professors to do so. Since mistakes had been found to date by JobStreet applicants, then these external experts should be forewarned. They should be ashamed of such obvious grammatical mistakes.

Another thing, please ensure that all questions listed in the ELA are wholeheartedly proof-read. If mistakes persist, perhaps you should pull the ELA plug out sooner or later. laugh.gif

Jason33, we have just sent a survey to all those of you who have done JobStreet ELA, and from the feedback, it shows that almost all of the job seekers agree that the assessment is a good indicator of job seekers' english language, and we have provided a free text area for the survey takers to share with us, and less than 0.1% of the job seekers have highlighted any problem of wrong tenses or other issues with the questions.

Do note that it has been rigorously tested and checked, and we are committed to ensure that ELA is a fair indicator of job seekers' English language quality.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st November 2014 - 09:34 PM