Welcome Guest. For JobStreet.com members, Login here. / For new members, Register here.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> will employer contact previous company for reference without permission?
smiledhc
post Feb 1 2011, 02:57 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,004

just wondering, if i did not provide any reference in my resume, will the employer contact my previous company to ask for reference? (company name is mentioned in the "working experience" section of the resume)

in another case, if reference is provided, but they are from previous company (not latest), or just colleague, will employer attempt to contact the boss to ask for more (or feel suspicious?)

is reference very important to an entry level / less than 1 year experience job?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Melissa
post Feb 2 2011, 10:02 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Star Contributor
Member No.: 2,069

QUOTE (smiledhc @ Feb 1 2011, 02:57 PM) *
just wondering, if i did not provide any reference in my resume, will the employer contact my previous company to ask for reference? (company name is mentioned in the "working experience" section of the resume)

in another case, if reference is provided, but they are from previous company (not latest), or just colleague, will employer attempt to contact the boss to ask for more (or feel suspicious?)

is reference very important to an entry level / less than 1 year experience job?

Hi smiledhc,

It is up to you whether or not you want to include your references in your resume. If you decided not to put it, do not state "references upon request" because it does not really make sense as the employer will ask for it if this is part of their recruitment process.

Employers do not usually call your current employer to ask for any details regarding you. They will only call the references that you provided but that will only happen after the interview when they seriously want to consider hiring you. The last step to hiring you will be to call your references. If you did not provide any in your resume, when needed they will ask for your references from you.

Please remember to inform the references that you listed that you are using them as a reference.

--------------------

+Quote Post
smiledhc
post Feb 3 2011, 04:58 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 4,004

QUOTE (Melissa @ Feb 2 2011, 10:02 AM) *
Hi smiledhc,

It is up to you whether or not you want to include your references in your resume. If you decided not to put it, do not state "references upon request" because it does not really make sense as the employer will ask for it if this is part of their recruitment process.

Employers do not usually call your current employer to ask for any details regarding you. They will only call the references that you provided but that will only happen after the interview when they seriously want to consider hiring you. The last step to hiring you will be to call your references. If you did not provide any in your resume, when needed they will ask for your references from you.

Please remember to inform the references that you listed that you are using them as a reference.

Thanks Melissa!
I'm actually thinking who to put as reference, i have better reference in my previous company (not latest one), but was worried that if i didn't put someone in the latest company i worked with, the interviewer might be curious about my intention. Now that i know about the process, there's no more worries (i used to think interviewers will call the provided references whenever they want)

+Quote Post
Melissa
post Feb 7 2011, 09:35 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (smiledhc @ Feb 3 2011, 04:58 PM) *
Thanks Melissa!
I'm actually thinking who to put as reference, i have better reference in my previous company (not latest one), but was worried that if i didn't put someone in the latest company i worked with, the interviewer might be curious about my intention. Now that i know about the process, there's no more worries (i used to think interviewers will call the provided references whenever they want)

Hi smiledhc,

If you are worried about them calling your references, to be safe, you can always not state your references in your resume.

However, you have to decide who to list as your references and inform your references accordingly so that when the employer do ask for it, you will be able to provide the information straight away.

If you are still working with your current company, the prospective employer will probably understand why you did not put anyone from your current company as you are still working with them. But if you have resigned and am currently not working, then they may question why you did not put any references from your last company. If that happens, do be prepared to give a good answer.

All the best! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
smallbrat
post Mar 15 2011, 01:23 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 4,527

What would be the possible questions they would ask in the references? Is it just to check the persons if he/she can be trusted?

+Quote Post
Melissa
post Mar 16 2011, 10:14 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (smallbrat @ Mar 15 2011, 01:23 AM) *
What would be the possible questions they would ask in the references? Is it just to check the persons if he/she can be trusted?

Hi smallbrat,

They will usually ask a series of questions to determine if you were a good employee, your performance, strengths, weaknesses and so on. They want to determine if you will be suitable for the new role that you will be taking based on your past experience and how your supervisor or manager views you as an employee.

You can do a Google search for "common reference questions" to get a better idea.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd September 2014 - 09:57 PM