Welcome Guest. For JobStreet.com members, Login here. / For new members, Register here.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How long must you wait for an answer after a job interview?
Alv
post Nov 22 2011, 11:41 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,137

Well the most difficult part is waiting after a job interview, not knowing what is the result whether you got the job or not. How long you think you must wait for an answer after a job interview? 1 week, 2 weeks or 1 month. Some after job interviews never give you an answer at all and you keep waiting like ages. Although some interviews may go well but the result is still unpredictable. So you apply many jobs and attend a few interviews at the same time.

Had a friend who applied for a job in Jobstreet and after the interview, within 1 week he got the job. Some people apply for months and only after so long they got a job or still waiting.

Your opinion and suggestion will be much appreciated.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Melissa
post Nov 23 2011, 05:09 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Star Contributor
Member No.: 2,069

QUOTE (Alv @ Nov 22 2011, 11:41 PM) *
Well the most difficult part is waiting after a job interview, not knowing what is the result whether you got the job or not. How long you think you must wait for an answer after a job interview? 1 week, 2 weeks or 1 month. Some after job interviews never give you an answer at all and you keep waiting like ages. Although some interviews may go well but the result is still unpredictable. So you apply many jobs and attend a few interviews at the same time.

Had a friend who applied for a job in Jobstreet and after the interview, within 1 week he got the job. Some people apply for months and only after so long they got a job or still waiting.

Your opinion and suggestion will be much appreciated.

Hi Alv,

You can follow up with the employer on the status of the application. Employer can take as fast as 1 week to 2 months to process the resumes and to identify those that they want to interview. You should never wait on only one application, do continue applying for other suitable positions. If you do not hear from the employer in 2 months time, it’s fair enough to assume that they have identified the right candidate for the job or there could be other reasons like delay in the hiring or budget cut etc.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alv
post Dec 27 2011, 11:41 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,137

QUOTE (Melissa @ Nov 23 2011, 05:09 PM) *
Hi Alv,

You can follow up with the employer on the status of the application. Employer can take as fast as 1 week to 2 months to process the resumes and to identify those that they want to interview. You should never wait on only one application, do continue applying for other suitable positions. If you do not hear from the employer in 2 months time, it’s fair enough to assume that they have identified the right candidate for the job or there could be other reasons like delay in the hiring or budget cut etc.

From what I see, 2 months is a long time for a prospective employer to make an applicant to wait. Why 2 months? If the prospective employer wanted to offer the applicant a job in the first place, he could have offered to him within a few days or within 2 weeks. To me 2 months means the applicant is not the only applicant the prospective employer is interviewing and that prospective employer is still considering other applicants or you may just be the spare tyre or backup applicant in case the first favoured applicant does not work out.

My present employer made me wait for 1 years and I had to go thru 4 interviews with diferrent people before I got the job. In an interview the prospective employer say they will let you know within 2 weeks but most of the time you will never hear from them. Only in certain cases employer will let you know if they want you for the job.

+Quote Post
Melissa
post Dec 29 2011, 02:08 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Group: Star Contributor
Member No.: 2,069

QUOTE (Alv @ Dec 27 2011, 11:41 PM) *
From what I see, 2 months is a long time for a prospective employer to make an applicant to wait. Why 2 months? If the prospective employer wanted to offer the applicant a job in the first place, he could have offered to him within a few days or within 2 weeks. To me 2 months means the applicant is not the only applicant the prospective employer is interviewing and that prospective employer is still considering other applicants or you may just be the spare tyre or backup applicant in case the first favoured applicant does not work out.

My present employer made me wait for 1 years and I had to go thru 4 interviews with diferrent people before I got the job. In an interview the prospective employer say they will let you know within 2 weeks but most of the time you will never hear from them. Only in certain cases employer will let you know if they want you for the job.

Hi Alv,

It is perfectly normal for an employer to have a few or many candidates lined up for an interview. Just like how a jobseeker will apply for many jobs, the same goes with the employer in their search for someone suitable to hire.

As the job advertisement in JobStreet.com is posted for one month, some employers may only start shortlisting after the advertisement closes. It also depends on the number of applicants they have to go through. Different employers and different hiring managers will take a different amount of time.

For me, i would not worry too much about how long the employer will take as it is not within our control. Make use of your time to improve your skill sets and knowledge, improve your resume and interview skills, continue to look for and apply to jobs that are suitable to you and matches your skill set and experience etc. There is so much that can be done smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ana123
post Jan 2 2012, 08:08 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,947

I think, after a job interview, you can wait for few weeks for a positive reply from the employer.Within that time span, you should continue to apply for other jobs too. If the employer wants to hire you, he will call you early and inform you about the further procedure. It depends upon the number of employees they want to hire and their recruitment process.
One of my friend had received a job offer call from the employer 3months after his job interview. The reason for this was the person they had hired earlier before him was not interested in the job and my friend was kept on waiting list. But this depends upon your luck, at times.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd November 2014 - 05:31 PM