Welcome Guest. For JobStreet.com members, Login here. / For new members, Register here.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Experience Working in North America (US/Canada/Mexico)
chenchow
post Feb 25 2009, 10:37 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Star Contributor
Member No.: 5

A lot of Malaysians have been looking to work abroad, and many Malaysians are currently working abroad. If you have had a stint of working abroad (even part time job when you were studying), this could be a platform for you to share with fellow Forumers. This would help other forumers here who might consider working abroad, to smoothen their transition process.

For this thread, this would be sharing on working experience in North America (US/Canada/Mexico).

If anyone has question on working there, do post it here too.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
chenchow
post Feb 27 2009, 09:18 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Star Contributor
Member No.: 5

Let me start the ball rolling... I did work a few jobs during my university days, and I would say that those are quite great exposure.

I particular like my tutoring jobs. I did group tutoring, where I was tutoring Calculus and Chemistry for first year student in my university. It was a great exposure, although would say that I really have to prepare myself before the class, especially in my 1st time tutoring them. Those students are really smart, and often would challenge what I say, if they are not fully convinced of it.

Would say that the working experience there in Ithaca, New York state was great, especially during non snowy days. I would bring a white board and conduct the class under a tree on the padang. Those are fun experience and it allows us to try out our creativity.

And of course, job as tutoring over at university does pay very well... Was paid USD24/hour, so if I really convert back to RM, it was really good money back then..., especially for a student. smile.gif

For those who intend to work in US, while studying, your F-1 or J-1 visa would allow you to work 20 hours per week during semester and up to 40 hours/week during holidays.

Do share your experience and if anyone with question, do ask too.. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
algeg98
post Apr 24 2009, 07:54 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 686

Hi,

As I was reading this topic, it reminded me of my previous experience working in the college while on F-1 status.

In my college, international students are not allowed to take up job outside the college and so most students take the chances of working on-campus. ( This is the policy based on my college in Rochester, NY. I am not sure about other colleges if they also have such rules.)

I had a few jobs in the campus. I first started as a notetaker in various courses (especially those that I was also registered for or other courses) for the deaf students. The pay was USD 6.70/hour and the notes (minimum wage for all on-campus jobs) I written down were handed in to specific departments. It was fun to take notes and I didn't have to buy writing pad as it was provided. Although the pay is not much, it is a good to attend courses and get paid for. I might as well also use the time to help others.

Second, I worked as student custodian. This job is easy as I just need to go work and clean an assigned area of the student dormitory. I have to say, waking up and getting to work was not easy. The job starts from 5 am to 10 am on weekends. Students are willing to lose sleep just to get paid. It didn't last long for me to do this job...haha.

Then, I had the most easiest job on-campus I think. I worked as the computer laboratory assistant in the Foreign Language department for 10 hours a week. I remembered I used the time to do my studying. I didn't have to do a lot but to close and lock the lab.biggrin.gif I also tutored Chinese language to those who come to the lab. Not many students come to the lab for the tutoring, which I find it disappointing.

I hope my sharing give you some idea how it is like to work in N. America. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2014 - 04:06 AM