Welcome Guest. For JobStreet.com members, Login here. / For new members, Register here.

> Scam/Fraud Companies
azra
post Apr 12 2009, 09:02 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 649

Hey. I thought I wanted to share this with all of you whom are currently looking for jobs since the economy is not in its greatest health.

I am still studying and will be graduating this August, so I was actively searching for potential jobs so that I could have one by the time I graduate.
I was browsing through JobStreet as usual and saw this one ad which was looking for an "Advertising and Management Trainee". I was happy to know that they did not require the candidates to be experienced as they will train you once you were on board. The salary placed was also attractive RM1800 to RM2500. I was thinking, wow! As a fresh grad, I could earn as much as RM2500.

So, I went ahead and emailed the company which by the way is, READY-ACT SDN BHD. The company is supposedly to have a headquarters in Singapore and have branches in Malaysia, Korea and etc. After I've sent the email containing my resume, I went on browsing through other jobs when I got a reply from them. They asked me for an interview in less than 30 minutes that I've sent the email. I thought to myself: either I'm really that good or there's something fishy here.

So, I replied the email and confirmed for the interview. Before I went for the interview (which was on Thursday at 1230pm), I went to check out the office so that I could familiarise myself with the way to get there on Wednesday night. I saw that their company name wasn't READY ACT SDN BHD but VISFINITY ADVERTISING. The office was located in Klang (opposite Jusco Bukit Tinggi) at a new area with shoplots, and the office was the one upstairs. I thought positively that maybe they just recently relocated.

I went back home and decided to google up the company - VISFINITY ADVERTISING to prepare myself for the interview. The first search result was this - http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/210634/+320

Apparently A LOT of people have been scammed by them. The modus operandi was the same and even if it was legal, it was simply UNETHICAL for me.

I'm posting this up to let JobStreet know that these companies are advertising jobs and getting people to work for them at a low rate using JobStreet. It would be particularly helpful should JobStreet monitor these companies or check out their background before allowing any type of job advertising. It hurts a lot of people financially, emotionally and physically.

Just imagine, some of the people who knew about it didn't show up at the interview and these companies complained to JobStreet and JobStreet blacklists them. It's just not fair.

One of my friend was nearly conned by doing his internship at one of the biggest scam company - COBRA.

Anyone who ever had the experience, please write in because JobStreet needs to know that this is a big issue they need to handle.
It will also be great if anyone listed out other companies as well so that other people could be well prepared.

I know this is kinda long but I wanted to do my part and warn others.

Thanks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
J*L
post Apr 13 2009, 01:39 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 396

Hi Azra, thanks for sharing as I am also currently searching for jobs on jobstreet.

I had a look at the job advert and when I clicked for the company information, a new window opened and it showed that the company name is Visfinity Advertising. N from ur story, I assume that ready-act doesn't exist n it's juz a different name they use to con ppl?

I also went to the URL provided to read about the scam. Victims claimed that the job given din match the job title, which is 'advertising n management trainee'. It's really juz a salesperson job, so I suppose the responsibilies stated in the vacancy are false too. It sounds to me that it is illegal to do so, can legal action be taken against the company?

I have read about scams asking for money, but the one raised by Azra is done in a more subtle way and the victims probably won't realise that they r being cheated until they have started the job. I hope Jobstreet would provide more info n cases on job scams to alert the public, n also wat to do n where to look for help as a victim, as many jobseekers, including most ppl that I know, r using jobstreet actively.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st August 2014 - 02:15 PM